24 optimization solutions for Windows XP optimization
From Top 5 Optimizers Wiki
24 optimization solutions for Windows XP optimization
The purpose of below tips is to save the installed Windows XP Pro from completely unnecessary applications for home users to speed up the work of the whole system. These 25 boards are only a part of what can be done to optimize and accelerate Windows XP. Changing the various options and settings without understanding what and how they can influence on the pc performance, you can easily spoil everything. Therefore, first of all you need to worry about their safety, benefit, Windows XP available for this all means for backing up: Backup, System Restore, ASR.
Steps for optimization solution your Windows:
- We recover the classic style Start menu: click the right mouse button on the taskbar "Properties", tab "Start Menu, choose" Classic Start menu, click "OK."
- Click the right mouse button on the blank the screen, the menu item "Properties", than tab "Appearance." Choose "Classic style" of the windows and buttons. Click on "Effects." Uncheck all the jackdaws, except the last.
- In “Control Panel” choose "Folder Options." In the new window select "Use a normal folder" Windows ", it will help you to get rid of extra decorations, which slow down the process of navigation. Go on "View" tab and mark the "Do not cache thumbnails" otherwise while viewing folders with image files, Windows will litterbug its miniature copies of pictures, in paragraph mark "Display "Control Panel" in folder "My Computer", remove the checkboxes in points "Remember each folder display options" (optional) and "Hide protected operating system files", select the option "Show hidden files and folders".
- In "Control Panel" select "System". On the "Advanced" tab in the frame "Performance" click the button "Options." In the window that appears select "Visual Effects" and remove all the checkmarks.
- Disable error reporting. Call "System Properties" tab and on the tab "Advanced" - "Error Reporting", select the "Disable Error Reporting."
- Remove Windows Messenger. Each time you boot Messenger also starts, slows down the process of loading, devouring system resources. At the command line (go "Start" - "Run") type the following: "RunDll32 advpack.dll, LaunchINFSection% windir%\INF\ msmsgs.inf, BLC.Remove" and press "OK". After restarting your system you will not find the Windows Messenger on your computer.
- Establish the optimum value of the paging file "System Properties" - "Advanced" - "Performance" - "Advanced" - "Virtual Memory" - "Change". Initial Size and Maximum recommended putting the same. For regular work it is sufficient to multiply the size of memory you have by 1.5. For ordinary work is multiplied by the amount of memory available for 1.5.
- Reduces the time delay before the disclosure of nested menus. Go to "Start" - "Run" and type "regedit". In the registry find the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Setting MenuShowDelay change from 400 to 0.
- Remove unwanted programs from autoload. Go to "Start" - "Run" and type "msconfig". Click on the tab "Startup" and uncheck some of those programs that you do not need.
- Clear the folder "prefetch" - C:\windows\prefetch. This folder contains links to run applications and programs. Some links are no longer in use or use rarely, but while booting the system checks for the existence of links in this folder. Over time, the number of links in that folder increases a lot that the system requires more time for review. Emptying the folder will accelerate the speed of your system. It is not recommended to restart your system after cleaning a folder. It will worse the performance.
- Disable Indexing. Open «My Computer» click the right button on the hard drive icon and select «Properties». In the new window uncheck the tick «Allow indexing disk for fast searching». After clicking the button «Apply» or «OK» A new window will appear and you will be asked whether to apply the selected attributes only to the current drive, or to put files and folders as well. As a result, the system will run faster. Applicable only for disks with file system NTFS.
- Windows XP files are considered "Zip" folder. On a slow system you can force Windows XP to give up from this opportunity (if you have any other archive such as "RAR"), by typing in the command line "regsvr32 / u zipfldr.dll". To disable this command you cab by typing command "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll".
- Change the priority of interrupt requests (IRQ). Increasing the priority of CMOS-RAM and real-time you can increase the productivity of all elements of the motherboard. Open "System Properties" - "Equipment" and click on button "Device Manager". Now open the properties of a particular device and select the tab "Resources". Here you can see what IRQ number used by the selected device. Note the number of interrupts and close all windows. Run RegEdit. Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/ CurrentControlSet/Control/PriorityControl. Create a new DWORD key IRQ # Priority ('#' number IRQ) and set it to «1».
- Disabling of the not used subsystem "POSIX" may slightly increase performance. Run "Regedit". Open in the Registry Editor the branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ControlSessionManager\SubSystems and delete lines Optional and Posix.
- Don’t record the last access to file (only NTFS). Increase access to directories with many files. In Registry Editor "Regedit" type HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ FileSystem parameter NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate the value of "1"
- Don’t use a swap file to store the kernel. By default, WinXP unloads kernel and drivers in the system paging file if they are not used. With this option you can specify WinXP to store the kernel and system driver always in memory. Run "Regedit" HKLM\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement option DisablePagingExecutive, the value "1" - don’t use the swap file to store the system kernel, the value "0" - to use it.
- The function "automatically unload not used libraries" helps to release the memory. Run "Regedit" HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer option AlwaysUnloadDLL, the value "1" - unload the library, the value "0" - don’t unload, value 1 - download the library, the value 0 - don’t unload, a value of 1 - download the library, the value 0 - don’t unload. Note: possible unstable work of the system when this option is enabled.
- Use Fast User Switching. If this option is enabled, than when you switch to another user, the program user will continue to work. Otherwise, the programs will be automatically turned off when the user logs out and with the next user the computer will run faster. Run "Regedit" HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon option AllowMultipleTSSessions, the value "1" - to use the Fast User Switching.
- Do not keep history of open documents. Do not keep history of "recently used documents". Windows XP creates a folder in Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Recent shortcuts to executable programs. You can disable this feature if you do not use them. Run "Regedit" HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer option NoRecentDocsHistory, the value "1"-history is not being logged.
- Automatically terminate frozen applications. This option is used for the automatic closing of frozen programs without any warning. It is convenient when you shut down the computer. If the application does not respond, then do not click on the button to complete it. Run "Regedit" HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop option AutoEndTasks, the value "1" - will automatically terminate frozen applications, "0" - wait for user input.
- Disable message about the lack of free disk space. It makes sense to use this option on the disk size. Run "Regedit" HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer option NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, the value "1" - the message is disabled, "0" – enabled.
- Blocking automatic updating in Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player periodically establishes a connection via the Internet to verify the existence of a new version of the program (Tools-Options-frame "Automatic updates"). You can disable this feature in Windows Media Player. Go to Start − Run "Regedit" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\ WindowsMediaPlayer option DisableAutoUpdate, the value "1".
- The release of the channel (bandwidth), reserved for the service QoS. Windows XP by default allocates part of the Internet channel for the Quality of Service (QoS). ) Function of QoS - to improve traffic distribution programs that written relies on QoS API. These programs can not be find, so the backup channel for the unnecessary service − a luxury. In order to relieve a channel of Internet connection, click Start -> Run, run the Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc. To perform it you must be a system administrator. Under "Computer Configuration", click "Administrative Templates", then "Network" and then in the right panel, select the "manager packages QoS" and double click on it. Select "Limit the reserved bandwidth" and again, click on it twice. In the new window turn on Enabled, and then specify the limit of the channel as a percentage equal to zero, click OK and exit the program. Open the "Network Connections" in Control Panel, open the properties of your connection and on the "Network", make sure that the protocol Planner packages QoS "is connected. If it's not there, then add from the list and restart the computer.
- Disable unused services in Windows XP.
Best system optimizers reviews on Top5Optimizers.com!